Friday, May 3, 2013

Where did April Go, Exactly?

I try to only write on this blog when I have something particularly profound to say. I mean the past few weeks since writing the last blog post, a few life-time things happened, a few firsts happened, and a few unexpected things. Unexpected like cutting my finger instead of a carrot.

Recently I have found myself in different stages of nausea. I have known the roots of some of its causes, but not all - or at least all aspects of why.

One reason is money. I know this subject has been beat to death, and allow me to just throw a few more sticks at it for a minute. I finally registered for classes at Adelphi, even though I hadn't heard from the director or spoken to an advisor. There are only three classes available that I am even qualified to take, and so I chose them (obviously). I had read the MFA handbook and knew that the first semester module was one workshop and two classes. That is what was available and that is what I chose.
So I got a billing statement of what those three classes would cost me. It was somehow simultaneously more and less than I thought it would be.

The second reason is my previously non-existent love life, which I guess now sort of exists. For those of you who didn't know, I had my first date with a guy a few weeks ago now. Kieran*. Ever since the date I've been driving myself crazy trying to decide if I want to see him again. He moves quickly, I'll say that. Every time I make a decision, I get sick thinking about how I should've gone the other way. The big question now is if I will regret it the rest of my life if I don't see him at least once more.

Third is that I've just booked the flights and hotels for Emily G and I to spend a week traveling around Melbourne and Sydney. I'm looking forward to the trip immensely, because it's finally doing some traveling! I've missed the vacation atmosphere. This trip is expensive, as all things are down here, but I had to do it because I wouldn't be able to face anyone back in the states if I didn't go to Sydney. We'd have nothing to talk about, because all of the landmarks are there (of the few that Australia has). 

In 5 days I'll have been here three months. I can reiterate here once again that I haven't done much in those three months. I can't regret coming here, because regrets shouldn't work that way.
I think I would've regretted not moving here with Emily, because it would've been all over facebook and I would have been jealous. The only reason I'm finding myself regretting coming here is the money, but money is replaceable and these memories and this experience is not. I promised myself a while ago that I wouldn't let my happiness be ruled by money and lately I've been slipping up. Life may be ruled by it, but happiness should not be.

I have to keep reminding myself that this blog is not a diary. Through writing I've always been able to tell it how it is, kind of the opposite of how I am in person with most people. Will I be contradicting myself in the future or am I contradicting myself already if I say that I am a pretty open and honest person? I have a penchant for TMI (too much information) which I've been narrowly avoiding sometimes on this blog (but have been guilty of in my previous ones).
With writing there is an infinite number of times you can change what you write to get the message across, and with speaking there is only one chance.
Which is the downside to job interviews. They don't allow backspaces and almost anonymity in terms of answering those simple yet not simple "why do you want to work for us" questions.

I had an interview with Baskin Robbins yesterday.
I've been texting Kieran,but I got a text from a random number saying that they were the manager at Baskin Robbins in my area, wanting to interview me at 1245 or 130, and to text back the time I could make it. This particular store was just down the hill from our house, so literally a 2-5 minute walk depending on the traffic timing. I got to the interview, ironically wearing the same outfit I wore to my date (irrelevant), and had a tiny interview in the back room.
I had to answer why I wanted to work there, what dictated good customer service and what was bad, and if I was okay with working alone. I didn't stutter, I didn't say um, I tried to look her in the eye, and I rambled to the best of my ability and explained my customer service experience with a smile.
The interview was cut short because two customers walked in, and she told me to email my resume to them, and would let me know by the next day if I got the job or not. They were hiring 3 juniors and 1 senior, and the senior position would be casual, just covering for the juniors while they took exams and whatnot.

I'll explain that in Australia, junior workers are anyone under age 21, and the miniumum wage per hour is different for every age. Generally a lot of retailers want junior workers because they don't have to pay them as much. The one senior staff member would have casual hours (they call when they need you basically) to save money. That was all well and good, fine, some money never hurts.
I got the call / voicemail that I didn't get the job, but the manager did say that she was very impressed with me and that I am the first on her list to hire the next time they have an opening.
That was cool, but let's face it, I have no hopes of staying here long enough for someone else to quit (and I can't afford to extend the trip just for casual hours when I might have Red Mango back).

That being said, I am really really really really hoping Red Mango takes me back. Like, really. Even if not many summer hours, I'll be available nearly all day again in the fall when the high schoolers still have school and stuff....

I think I've been really lucky when it comes to interviews and getting jobs...I mean, Dollar Tree was the only one that was shaky, because it was my first job ever, and the manager was a shallow creeper so Amanda had to keep putting my application at the top of the pile for me. Got that job, but I wouldn't have if she wasn't there. Silver Bay's interview was over the phone and Chip is a sweetheart so it was easy conversing on that front. At Red Mango I was pretty much given the job on the spot, and Bath and Body Works just called my references and told me to come in for training.
Every interview I've had where I've had to sit down in front of the boss and answer those questions and get chosen from a huge pool of people, I haven't gotten. I don't know what that says about my interview skills.
At least in Australia, I'm convinced that the thing holding all my applications back is the restrictions on the visa.

I applied to work in the Apple store a few days ago and today got an email that I'd made it through the first round and to answer a few more questions. I responded my answers but I don't have any hopes to get that job either. Wouldn't that be a riot? Me, working in the Apple store?

Anyway!

The trip!
We'll be flying to Melbourne on the 14th, staying in the Space Hotel, which is right in CBD. It is also one of the top hostels in Australia. We'll explore in the area, some points in walking distance are the Royal Botanic Gardens. We'll go to Luna Park, and down to St Kilda.
May 16th we're on a coach tour of the great ocean road, where everything is included for a few stops on the coast, looking for wild koalas in the rainforest, and then seeing the 12 Apostles, which is one of the famous landmarks in Victoria.
May 17th we're flying to Sydney, staying in a hostel that is right on Coogee Beach. We'll have 4 full days to explore Sydney, and the morning of the day we fly home will be spent relaxing on the beach or doing a few last minute things if we find a particular thing we want to do one last time.

If anyone wants an exact itinerary with flights and times and addresses then they can message me on facebook (talking to you mom).

Until that time, it is my goal to make a list of a few more things I need to do in Brisbane, and then start crossing them off. I also need to decide the exact date I'm flying home, and re-visiting my itinerary for New Zealand. Until next time!

This song has never failed to put a smile on my face recently.


No comments:

Post a Comment