Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fishing for Jobs - Most Promising Bite

So I have been applying for jobs for the past few weeks (some even before I arrived in Australia). So far, they have all resulted in rejection or no word at all. Aside from a three.

McDonalds denied me on three locations, but two locations will keep my application on file for a future vacancy.

Woolworth's (Grocery store) sent me the same thing for one of their stores (of the nine that I applied to).

I joined a website called AuPairWorld, because you can post an advert of yourself for an au pair position or as a local tutor. I figured hey, I could tutor someone in writing, flute, or jewelry making or something non-useful like that, just to have some kind of pocket money.

Then I started getting messages for people wanting me to be their au pair.

Just in the fact that I am desperate for a job, I am considering them. I do think its a leap into the unknown within my already-performed leap into the unknown. The only family I replied to (of the three) was one who sent me a personal message, not just the form letter to view their profile. They live on the Sunshine Coast (about 1.5 hrs north of Brisbane) and have four kids, age 4-11.

I did make it clear in my response email that I have never been a nanny, but I have worked a bit with kids (at Silver Bay) (so I have a healthy respect for nannys and how hard a job it really is). 

But apparently the mother wants me anyway.

So this is my dilemma now, should I sit around in Brisbane as I've been doing for the past month, or do I move a bit north, watch some kids, live with a family of strangers, for some nice free room and board, a weekly allowance of around $200, and see what happens? If it doesnt work out, then at least I tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment