Wednesday, January 30, 2013

C'est La Vie

Today was a great day.

For the past three weeks (well actually, ever since I got the call from Red Mango that I would be off the schedule until further notice) I've been kind of nocturnal. Nothing to do all day, why not sleep? Why not watch youtube videos and play Temple Run 2 until, three, four, or five in the morning?
It makes me feel like crap, honestly, waking up for the first time after noon.
So for the past few days I've been waking up earlier. ( by earlier I mean 12:30 but hey, jet lag won't be as bad this way maybe).

Today I knew I wanted to get stuff done, and I actually had a plan.
I quite enjoy going out shopping by myself, on my own time, with my own pace.
I just recently started packing for my trip, and came up with this list of things to get.
If I have a list of things, I generally look at it and say, "hmm, these things will be cheapest in Walmart."
So I make the trek over to the bad part of town and go through our weird Walmart.

I felt like such a girl today, because everything I bought was for my hair, skin, and face. I got shampoo and conditioner, sun screen lip balm, sunscreen for the face, sunscreen for the body, moisturizer for the face, liquid foundation, makeup removing cloths, body wash...everything. It was kind of a kid in a candy store situation and it was out of control for a bit but I got it together and knocked down the final price. I was guilty about having all of this stuff, but then I said, hey, I haven't really exploited half of these products ever before in my life so I'm overdue, and also, they'd cost literally 3x as much if I bought them in Australia. They're also not very big so I'll either use them up or I can just donate them to Emily U if need be.
I like how I'm justifying all of this to you, dear reader.

I also found a bathing suit!
Here's the thing, I am plus size, I have a long torso, and it is nearly impossible for me to find a bathing suit that fits and is decent looking. I am very lucky when I find one that fits - and when two fit in one trip, it's a good day for me to buy a lottery ticket or something.
The last bathing suit I had, I got in Kohl's. It was a swimdress, and I had worn it in the ocean several times, so I threw it in the machine to wash. Ha! My swimdress turned into a swimpromgown.
All summer at Silver Bay I had to hold it up on the sides like I was wearing a curtain or going up the stairs to accept an Oscar for "Best Display of Horrible Laundry Judgement".
Good old stretched out black fabric wouldn't hold up to a hemming job (particularly if I did it) so I've been on the lookout for a bathing suit. But no one has had them out yet, and those that did, have only had tankinis.
I don't understand tankinis. the only thing they have going for them in my opinion is that they're easy to change. have one pair of bottoms and then two or three tops. Mix and match. I think they're just trying to be as modest as a one-piece but then appeal to those who can't afford / can't find more than one and get bored with colors. I don't like them on me, because they don't fit long torso.
In that spirit, it was a joy to find a swimdress in Walmart today!

I then came home and had Taco Bell for dinner, which if any of you know anything about me, you know that it is always Taco Tuesday in my house and I have a crazy toxic love affair with Taco Bell (and the intestines of steel that accompany eating it faithfully for 22 years). Is that TMI? or a reminder of common knowledge?

My day has only gone a tad downhill since I haven't gotten any response to my job applications yet. I started up the laptop for the first time in a few days just so that I could start applying to a few more. I found one that I really want, so I want to write a fantastic Cover Letter - Resume combo that lands me at least an interview.  I'm hoping I don't get faced with the dreaded "absolutely no working holiday visa applicants" scenario that has been cropping up every now and again.
Dominos Pizza, actually has so far had the most emphatic denial of all working holiday applicants.

Now I'm keeping up with my normal streak of going to bed late, seeing as it is almost 3:30 am.
Tomorrow I will be bringing down the suitcases and summer clothes, really getting everything organized, because I am flying out on Tuesday!

So I guess next week's Taco Tuesday dinner will come from Dallas Fort Worth airport. Hope it's good ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment